Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 4

Today I wanted a repeat of yesterday. It doesn't get any better than lounging around the pool or beach with a good book, plenty of fun drinks and fruit to die for. We did it again only today we walked down the beach to the local shops and did some souvenir shopping. This is usually one of my favorite parts of a vacation . . . seeing new things I've never seen before and bargaining with the locals to see what kind of a price I can get. This place is a bit different though ... in a scary way. Both Todd and I were looking over our shoulder the entire time because the people were a bit spooky. Very high pressure and uncomfortable situations. They'd all but drag you intot their shop and get a bit mad when you wouldn't buy from them. We soon found it to be overwhelming and didn't stick around. Interesting stuff . . . and of course I found some things I couldn't live without. :)
I'm looking forward to tomorrow . . . we're going on an open water scuba dive. We're going to a place called Catalina Island and it's on the other side of the Dominican Republic in the Caribbean. I'm excited to go as this will be my first official open water scuba dive since Todd and I certified. I'm happy to be leaving the resort as well. The service here is interesting because there is such a huge language barrier. Everywhere we've traveled we've found plenty of people that can speak English but here they have so many people from so many different places that they've never tried to learn another language to be able to speak to the tourists. So you ask a question and they smile and say something in Spanish and you don't get what you asked for. It's become kind of funny and we're having a good time with it. Interesting food, interesting people . . . interesting place.

No comments: